Here are a few parameters that help in creative tasks and that occured to me as a result of my current project of filming one song a day, for 26 days, with each song corresponding to a letter of the alphabet, and filmed in a particular outfit.
- Have some elements of your project pre-ordained so you don’t have a chance to second guess yourself. (In my case, the song, the letter, the costume.)
- Make the ritual of setting up the shot and grooming the self be part of your process.
- Have a time limit for the product so you don’t have to deliver a perfect take. (Instagram has 1 minute limit for video.)
- Play with visual elements. (The visual realm is highly gratifying to me.)
- Be able to put the work out into the world at the moment of its completion. (Instantaneousness is gratifying.)
- Design your project to span an arc of time. This way you can gain mastery over a period of days or weeks, which builds confidence.
- Set up your daily creative assignment so that it is a healthy stretch. In other words, set yourself up for success.